Sunday, June 21, 2015

Ideas, could they help race using an automatic transmission?


I've been interested in racing lately. Although it is not part of my question, bonus points if you briefly explain the different types!
First off, this is purely for curiosity(for now, no life long promises!).
I've read a lot saying manual transmissions are more efficient for racing because you can hold the gears longer, into the redline rpm's, and that automatic transmissions will shift gears before redline point. For this reason, manual transmissions will get a faster acceleration if used properly.
My question however: Is it possible to achieve the same rpm's with an automatic? I don't mean a sports car, I mean like a typical Honda or Nissan. My theory to achieve this would be to start the race in 1 instead of D, then after getting into 6000 rpms shift into second gear, etc. Essentially manually shifting up the gears. Would this work?

I have not and do not intend to test this as it will most likely wreck my transmission I just rebuilt.

Any and all positive contribution is welcome

Read more: Ideas, could they help race using an automatic transmission?