Tuesday, February 3, 2015

What is causing my engine to overheat? (Honda Accord 94 LX Sedan)?

I own a

Honda Accord 94 LX Sedan,had it for about 2 years. I bought it at about 190k miles.

APX. 210000 Miles
Oil is nearly topped off (Above max(not sure if it is stressing my engine?
Radiator is brand new(Just had it replaced 3 weeks ago)
-50/50 Coolant/AntiFreeze(Unknown level)
Transmission fluid(Unknown)
Thermostat recently fixed

My car recently boiled over and overheated. Coolant was leaking from somewhere near where the radiator cap is and steam was coming out. My friends dad recently checked the reasavour and there was nothing there so he just put simple tap water(Biggest mistake). Which is what probably caused all the steam and the boiling over.

Anyway this morning I put a fresh mix of 50/50 Antifreeze&Coolant/Water,car drove fine(To work and back and to lunch) but the thermostat kept reporting a high tempature. I checked underneath my car and no coolant was leaking and no steam was coming out from the radiator.

The car does start on an instant, does not fail/stall and drives normal. No shaking no sweet smells.

I searched online but there are so many issue it could be…

Slipping accessory belt(never changed)
Plugged Radiator(I doubt it because its a new radiator but I guess these things can happen quick)
Late Timing(Never checked)
Hoses(Never changed… I was under the assumption that my mechanic changed everything RADIATOR related but I guess not)

I dont know what else it could be… Please give me some advice on what it could be.

Read more: What is causing my engine to overheat? (Honda Accord 94 LX Sedan)?