Friday, November 14, 2014

1999 Honda Civic DX Engine Problem?

My car has been progressively gotten worse over the past months. The engine will randomly shake and stop. When it does shake, the check engine light flashes and it starts smelling like exhaust fumes inside the car. If the engine is shaking and I try to accelerate, it acts really slow or unresponsive.

SIX months ago, I would start the car and take off and it would slow down and then go back to being responsive and normal. This at first only happened when the gas was past half full. I believe it slowly did it regardless of how much gas was in the tank.

TWO months ago, it started shaking, smelling like gas, and the check engine light was flashing. This really only happened on/off about the first ten minutes of it being on.

I had the distributor, spark wires and plugs, and the coils replaced. Now it doesn't matter how long the car is on. It shakes on and off. However, it would mostly shake if the gas tank was half empty.

I got the fuel injectors replaced, but with (better) used ones from a junkyard. I also put foam in the gas tank. I did this since there is some sort of relation with how much gas is in the tank.

My last attempt to fix it was getting a new gas cap which did nothing. Now, it seems to shake on and off regardless of how full the tank is.

ALSO, this shaking on/off comes and goes away for long periods of time. Of course, every time I would get something fixed and replaced, it would act fine. The check engine light has even turned off before. A week or two later

Read more: 1999 Honda Civic DX Engine Problem?