Saturday, July 4, 2015

Why is my CEL flashing? 1998 Honda Civic LX (4dr) w/ a 1.6L engine?


I recently got a 1998 Civic LX. I've been having problems with it for awhile. When I first got it, I changed the fuel filter on it and was planning on doing a full tune-up, but never got around to it. Later on, I had an oil change done, and changed the MAP sensor (the one behind the engine, under the air filter), and just last night I had finished the tune-up.

I had kept thinking I needed to change the fuel pump, because it would spit and spudder, and it would like to not go anywhere, but after talking to a friend of mine who's a mechanic, he said it's most likely the TPS sensor, so last night I had changed the TPS sensor, changed all the spark plugs and spark plug wires, and changed the distributor cap. I also had the check engine light put onto a computer, and it said the Cadillac Converter was N/A, but the car ran fine. This morning, I turn the car on, and it's spitting and spuddering again (very badly, probably the worst it's been) and I drive it about half a block, and the check engine light starts flashing, and the engine was running very badly, and wanting to shut off.

Could I possibly had the firing order wrong? Or possibly done something wrong with the spark plugs?

Extra Info: The car is at a family member's house atm, so not able to use a CPU to check codes

Read more: Why is my CEL flashing? 1998 Honda Civic LX (4dr) w/ a 1.6L engine?