Thursday, July 23, 2015

My car is recalled and Honda won't give me a loaner?


My 2005 crv has been recalled due to a problem with the drivers side airbag inflator. Apparently the inflator could explode, not inflate correctly, or allow metal fragments to pass through in the event of a crash.

I was at my local dealership and they told me that the parts are on back order and should be here by October. I then asked about a loaner car to which the service advisor said that they wouldn't do it. I explained how in the letter it said that Honda will give a car or provide reimbursement for a loaner car until the repairs are done.

The advisor smirked as said I was lucky Honda is even going to replace the part for free and that the car is now ten years old they don't have any responsibility for it.

Now I drive mostly on the highway every day and I have some concern driving a car with a faulty airbag.

By giving me the recall notice, didn't Honda basically release their liability? The letter says they will give me a loaner. The dealer said that's only on the day of the repair and only if the car will stay overnight.

Am I missing something here? Should I call Honda directly? Or go to another dealer?

Read more: My car is recalled and Honda won't give me a loaner?