Monday, July 6, 2015

Electric scooter accident with car?


Hello,
I was riding my electric scooter up to Target at 8 at night and I was going 20 mph the scooters top speed and I hit a Honda accord who made a quick left in front of me. I slammed both brakes and hit the car about 10-12 mph I had a bleeding thumb and a handlebar rash but no broken bones and his accord had a broken windshield and minor body damage to side and mirror. The electric scooter was totaled with a bunch of bent parts on its front end. The scooter saved me a couple of broken bones in my legs and ankles because the front of the scooter protected my from the moving car. Anyways my scooter did not have lights on it and the intersection it happened at was well lit up with street lights. One car going faster than me because the speed limit was 40 and I was in the bike lane, that car cleared the intersection and he stared making his left and I slammed my brakes and hit the car. He wasn't injured at all just his car got banged up, and now he wants to sue. Can he sue?

(The scooter is under homeowners insurance, and their battling nationwide about the suing deal he has.)

(The police came and wanted to see the scooter and said it was legal to be in all bike lanes because it's fully electric no gas, cannot exceed 25 mph, and no license required on the scooter.)

I'm 15 if it makes any difference.
Added (1). And how can he sue when I had right of way and a perfectly legal electric scooter?

Read more: Electric scooter accident with car?