Friday, November 14, 2014

Tips on driving a 6-speed manual?

My mother bought a 2012 Honda Civic (EU model) a month ago. Her old car was a 1.6 with a 5 speed manual, so I understand it's a little different for her coming into a 1.4 6 speed manual. But the problem she's having is that she can't get the power down when overtaking or going up hills. She keeps saying that her old car was faster which, spec wise, it's not. The Honda is slower to 60 by half a second, but it has 20 more horsepower and a higher top speed, so I don't think it's the car that's the problem. I personally think she's shifting too early, and I keep telling her to stay in gear for longer but she doesn't like going over 3,500 rpm, despite the fact that the car red-lines at 7,000. However I'm no expert. She has been driving a 5 speed all her life so I understand that it will be hard to get used to. She'll be used to the classic 1-10, 2-20 rule, but I know this doesn't really work with a 6 speed. Does anyone have any advice on a), how to drive a 6 speed and (b) how to get the best acceleration out of one?

Read more: Tips on driving a 6-speed manual?