Friday, August 15, 2014

Stage 2 street clutch break in?

got a 1998 honda civic EX coupe that came with a new clutch that just needed to be installed. I researched the clutch and found out that the new clutch is a stage 2 XTC street clutch. After I had it installed (by a mechanic of course) he said that the new clutch will ride a little rough until you break it in. I know that the manufacturer suggests a 500-mile break-in, but the car sputters a bit at take off unless I get the rpms to between 3-4k. Even then its a bit hard. The mechanic did warn me that for break in time would be a little sensitive and to take it easy because the new clutch is a 6-finger plate. My only question is this: "Is it true that because of the nature of this clutch and its design/ purpose that my take offs are a little cumbersome and rocky and that it will ease up after the break in period is finished? OR has my clutch been installed improperly and need further servicing? I am afraid to drive it too extensively for fear of causing further damage."

Read more: Stage 2 street clutch break in?