Sunday, August 24, 2014

Should I buy this 2001 Honda Civic?

It's my first my car. I really don't have much to spend since I'm paying for school right now and will have to pay for insurance. I can't spend much more than a little over $2000. I've searched and searched and finally found something in my price range that doesn't seem like a total piece of trash. It's some 18 year old kids car and he's selling it before he goes away to college. 2001 honda civic. You can tell it's been kept clean and taken care of, besides two dents, which is the least of my concern.
Everything looks great, the timing belt was changed about 20k ago, he claims he changed the oil regularly, clean car fax, etc.
However, when we started the car there was a fair amount of rattling, and same for when we backed up. It was a rough ride, which I've read that earlier civics tend to be, but a small bump in the road felt like a huge pot hole. I'm assuming the suspension may just need to be fixed. Also, the breaks were pretty shaky. Also, tires weren't the best, and I'd probably have to get some new ones once winter comes around.
The biggest concern was the rattling from the engine, which continued when we drove it around a bit too.
He accepted an offer of $1900. Which is a great price but i feel after taxes, and then having to replace all these things I'll just be dumping more money into it than I can afford. And the the engine rattle is a big concern as well since I'm not even sure exactly what it is and how much it is to fix.
Whats your opinion?

Read more: Should I buy this 2001 Honda Civic?