Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Car seems to be coasting when I first start it - won't engage in gear?

It always happens when I first start my car, and sometimes when I start it throughout the day: When I start my 99 Honda Accord LX and give it gas, it doesn't want to drive or reverse, as if it can'g engage. It last a few seconds. My breaks still work during that time, so I have control of the vehicle. It feels like it is coasting until it can engage. I was told by a friend this is likely the transmission going out. I changed the transmission fluid at the Honda dealership and this did not fix the problem. It does not seem to be leaking anywhere that I can tell, and the gauge shows that the fluid level is fine.

I'm wondering what the next thing to test should be? I know transmission fixes are expensive, and I'm planning on getting another car soon. I'm just wondering what kind of time frame I still have with this one?

Once I start it and get it to engage, it drives just fine, and usually on other startups during the day are more graceful. There is a definite rumbling when I start it and sometimes a clunk when I get it into gear. It's an automatic. Sometimes when I give it gas, it seems to stall out and the engine dies, thought all the lights flash on in the car. Restarting it and trying again usually get it to go.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

Read more: Car seems to be coasting when I first start it - won't engage in gear?