Monday, October 26, 2015

Cost of rebuiding a 91 honda civic 4 speed manual transmission?


I am planning of rebuild the engine and I want every major component to be as reliable as possible.

My current 4 speed manual transmission is working flawlessly, sometime it is a bit difficult to get in reverse. But I think it is normal. My concern is if I have a rebuild engine and a new clutch, I would like a new/reman transmission to match reliability.

Option 1: reman 5 speed tranny, which would run about $700. It is a little too much for my budget. And what am i going to do with the old 4 speed tranny?

Option 2: Rebuild myself. Rebuild kit is about $200. Question is if I have time and what if I mess up? Is it easy to do? Anybody has done that? Looks like you will have to replace a few bearings, seals and sychronizers.

Option 3: Pay shop to rebuild it. Anybody knows how much it would cost?

Option 4: Leave the current transmission. Worry about it when it goes bad… I don't know if I like this option. I want get everyting done at one shot and I don't have to worry about it latter…

What's your opinion?

Read more: Cost of rebuiding a 91 honda civic 4 speed manual transmission?