Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Can I sue if my car should have been totaled but was not?


In March of 2015, I was involved in an accident in which I was at fault. My vehicle was significantly damaged. My car was towed to my insurance s (State Farm) "preferred repair shop". Initially, the car was appraised at $17,500 with $8,000 (including replacing the driver s side airbag) in repairs and labor, meaning it was salvageable. It was also quoted the vehicle would be repaired in two and a half to three weeks, which seemed reasonable, considering the damage. In the end, after haggling back and forth with the shop, it took roughly a month and a half. After reviewing the paperwork with the details on what was done to my car, they repaired closer to $14,000 in parts and labor, meaning my car most likely should have been totaled. I now have constant issues with the vehicle (2013 Honda CRV, less than 30,000 miles). My question is, is there anything I can do about the fact that 1) close to half of the cost of the repair was not disclosed to me nor State Farm and 2) my car should have been totaled but was not due to the shop, I m assuming, wanting a big pay day.

Read more: Can I sue if my car should have been totaled but was not?